A Wholly Admirable Thing
Tuesday, February 12th
5:30- 7:00 PM
Join us in the bookstore on Tuesday, February 12th for a conversation with Dana and Virginia Beach about their new book, A WHOLLY ADMIRABLE THING.
A WHOLLY ADMIRABLE THING chronicle ten stories that showcase the rise of the Coastal Conservation League to one of the country’s most tenacious and innovative conservation groups. The book highlights transformational initiatives undertaken by the Conservation League over three decades in partnership with community activists up and down the South Carolina coast.
This event is free and open to all! Beer, wine, and light refreshments will be served. The discussion will begin at 6 PM with a book signing to follow.
Tim Conroy at Buxton Books
Thursday, February 21st
5:00- 7:00 PM
Join us on the evening of Thursday, February 21st for a reception honoring Tim Conroy with a special appearance and introduction by South Carolina’s Poet Laureate, Marjory Wentworth.
Tim Conroy is a theologian of the best kind, a theologian of the ordinary. He knows, as we learn from the rough father in the first poem, that there are no assurances in this life—and there probably isn’t another. We face crushing loss and daily difficulties. We have to learn to live the best we can here, now. Buxton Books will have Conroy's newest book of poetry, THEOLOGIES OF TERRAIN for sale at the event.
Marjory Wentworth’s poems have appeared in numerous books, magazines, and anthologies. She has been nominated for The Pushcart Prize four times, and she is the Poet Laureate of South Carolina.
Conroy and Wentworth will begin reading and discussion at 6 PM.
This event is free and all are welcome. Beer, wine and light refreshments will be provided. We hope to see you there!
Past Event Highlights
- Mar 24, 2018 The Joy of Hats with Archie Burkel
- Apr 5, 2018 Imagine What Tomorrow Holds: South Carolina Ports Authority 75 Years
- Apr 7, 2018 High Tea with Kristy Woodson Harvey
- Apr 18, 2018 Rebound Bus Tour with Kwame Alexander
- Apr 26, 2018 Tyquan Morton - Remembering Pluto
- Apr 27, 2018 Author Luncheon with Peter Golden (at Congress Restaurant in Mt. Pleasant)
- May 2, 2018 Palmettos & Pluff Mud: Tales of a Lost Lowcountry Life with S. Guilds Hollowell Jr.
- May 19, 2018 Susan Boyer's Pre-Publication Celebration for Lowcountry Bookshop
- May 24, 2018 Mary Alice Monroe Beach House Reunion Launch at the SC Aquarium
- May 30, 2018 The Worst Thing & Carolina Crimes in Charleston
- May 31, 2018 Reception for Horace Mungin - Piccolo Spoleto Poetry Series
- June 2018
- July 2018
- Aug 2, 2018 – Aug 3, 2018 Lowcountry Mental Health Conference
- Sep 2, 2018 Signe Pike's "The Lost Queen" Prelaunch Party at the Harbor Club
- Sep 6, 2018 Wine, Women, & Wisdom: Celebrating "The Glass Ocean"
- Sep 12, 2018 Second Chance at Two Love Lane - Book Release Party
- Sep 19, 2018 Reception for Lisa Patton
- Sep 21, 2018 Swing, Hard Bop, Bop & Bebop - Book Release Party
- Sep 26, 2018 ETV presents: The Great American Read and Down by the River Screenings
- Oct 1, 2018 Damon Fordham Storytelling at MOJA
- Oct 2, 2018 Literary Corner with Tayari Jones
- Oct 3, 2018 Poetry and Storytelling with Horace Mungin at MOJA
- Oct 4, 2018 Coffee With the Author: Dick Wall
- Oct 7, 2018 Tea & Chocolate with Dorothy St. James
- Oct 14, 2018 Story Time with Melissa Conroy
- Oct 18, 2018 Launch Party for Chef Jennifer Brule
- Oct 23, 2018 Brian Hicks, In Darkest South Carolina, book release party
- Oct 28, 2018 Becoming Mrs. Lewis, Book Talk and Tea with Author Patti Callahan
- November 2018
- December 2018
- January 2019
- February 2019
- June 2019